Monday, October 26, 2009

psychological issues of physically challenged athletes

I had a friend in cross-country who during her sophomore year of high school developed fibromyalgia. Fibromyalgia is an illness similar to arthritis in which the individual feels pain nearly all the time, ranging from mild to severe. She first realized something was wrong when after a race she could barely walk because the pain in her hip and lower back was so severe. She ended up having to quit running, and developed a deep depression that took her months to get out of. The depression was probably due to the pain, and being diagnosed with an illness that usually happens to people over twice her age, but I think not being able to run cross-country played a large role as well. It seems like it would be really hard to be told you can no longer participate in your sport for reasons you have no control over. This was only in high school, but imagine how hard it would be for a professional or elite athlete, who spent nearly their whole life dedicated to a sport, to have all that taken away.

Kyle B.
KIN 339I

3 comments:

  1. I believe the loss of the ability to do what you love is one of the greatest mental/emotional barriers we must break through in life. To lose the ability to old age or an injury while participating is one thing, but to lose your ability because of some uncontrollable variable, such as being diagnosed with fibromyalgia, has a different affect and could be the type of experience or event in a person's life that would cause a chemical imbalance that might lead to depression. Sports and athletics are as much a part of our world as anything else. We as humans have competed and strived to be the best at everything. It is heartbreaking to see people lose something that created so much joy and meant as much to them as anything else, especially at such a young age.

    j. Kober 339I

    ReplyDelete
  2. Although I didn’t have an illness as bad as Fibromyalgia, I still experienced being injured and it was one of the worst feelings ever. I was on varsity cross country my junior year, and my coach said I should be really good that year, yet I started having really sharp pains in my shins. I figured it was just shin splits, so I iced every day and just sucked it up. I didn’t want to quit or complain to my coaches. They started getting worse and I finally told my coach and parents about it and went to the doctor. I ended up having a stress fracture in my left shin and was told to stop before it got any worse. I had to take a month off and was not able to run with my team anymore. My other best friend on the team had to stop as well because of her shin splints and she was even more depressed than I was. Running had become my life in high school, and not being able to do it was heartbreaking. I can’t imagine having Fibromyalgia at this age, especially when being active is very important to a lot of people.

    J.V. 339i

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can completely relate to your friend. I, too, was a runner and played soccer and I was told I would probably never be able to run again. At first, I cried all the time because sports were my life and being told you’d never be able to play again, it throws you for a loop. Then realizing it’s an illness or disorder can make it worse. Eventually, I came to terms with it and instead of focusing on what I can no longer do; I focused on new avenues I can pursue. I took up a new sport, ice hockey, and the “disorder” I have helped me solidify my specialty. I think that it all depends on how you view the situation, if you look at it in a positive way, as a challenge, as a blessing is disguise, it makes it not seem as bad (at least that’s how it is for me).

    B. Wells
    339i

    ReplyDelete