Monday, October 26, 2009

"There's not crying in baseball"

Society stereotypes men and women and what is expected, as well as what is not expected out of them. Men are the workers...Women are the homemakers...Men play sports...Women do not. Whether these stereotypes are justified or not, regarding history or personal experience, does not mean that it is how it should be. Women in sport today have many challenges. Not only are they competing with other women in their sport, but they are also competing with men in that they are constantly being compared with them. This in no way holds any fairness because the physical capabilities between men and women are so drastically different. Men seem to hold with them the stereotype of how sports should be. Women are expected to fulfill the image requirements of a good player, including looking manly and being strong. It has come to be assumed that if you see an elite woman in sports, that her sexual orientation is automatically in question. Women are also expected to act a certain way, showing no personal, emotional attachment or response to the sport that they play. Through socialization, people learn to react, and mold their behavior in accordance with society's expectations, of not only gender roles, but sexual orientation, race and physical capabilities.

J.L.P

2 comments:

  1. I have never heard the stereotype "men play sports, women do not." I watch sports programming a lot, I would honestly say I watch more sports than 95% of the world's population. People laugh when I say that but I'm serious. I make a good living betting on sports, so in a sense, watching sports is my job. Of all the sports and sports analysts I watch I have never heard anyone question a female athlete's sexual orientation because of her dominance. It seems that this is only an issue in classes such as this one; when science is ignored and people's ignorant opinions is all of a sudden fact.
    -Quijada
    KIN 339I, Mon 7

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very informative post! There is a lot of information here that can help any business get started with a successful social networking campaign. Betmatik Giriş

    ReplyDelete