Monday, October 26, 2009

Women in Sports

In order to do this blog I talked with my sister who was a high school varsity soccer player. It was very interesting to find out what her responses were to my questions. I always grew up wanting to play soccer in college and hopefully in the professional world, but unfortunately that didn't work out. Haha. My sister wanted to play soccer also and take it to the next level that I didn't. So when I was living with my folks back in korea I trained her the best I could and as hard as I could to make sure that she was the best player. I can honestly say that training a female is totally different than training a male athlete, to my first hand knowledge. I always thought that the way that females are trained is totally different than what a male athlete would be trained. So I compared the same training techniques I used on my sister and a male athlete same age and found out that my sister did not like the training. The male athlete on the other hand did not have the same kind of complaints of the training. My sister told me that the training was too stressful, the way of talking was not comfortable, and the intensity was too much. The stressful part of it was that I was asking her to do too many work outs at an intensity level where the male athlete was trained at. The communication between my sister and I was not sympathetic, but at a competitive level. An example would be that I would just be yelling when she would mess up or would complain about the workout. The intensity level of the work out was at the level where i trained the male athlete. Basically I learned that I was a pretty bad trainer to my sister. The male athlete however did not have the same reaction/response to what my sister said. I also learned that what this class has discussed about psychology and how to talk with athletes in that perspective was that it would have been nice to have known this subject back then. My sister said that the training drained her emotionally, psychologically, and physically, but she knew that I wasn't doing it to punish her, but to make her a better athlete and it did according to what she said. I just didn't take into account that women have a different type of training and that different individuals also have different kind of training.

Pierpoint. M 7-9:45

No comments:

Post a Comment