Monday, October 26, 2009

WNBA

I decided to write about the WNBA and began researching it. I found that a lot of people, including basketball analysts, WNBA players, and fans blame the lack of strong ratings and attendance on males refusal to watch the sport. I read blogs from males that bash the sport for the masculinity of its players. I read countless posts from women condemning all NBA male views of being such, for lack of better word, assholes. The fact is, the notion that the WNBA is not as popular as the NBA because males refuse to watch masculine females is absurd. The one and true reason is unfortunately, lack of excitement.

Facts: 1. The 3 most exciting plays in the NBA are alley-oops, rim-rattling dunks, and blocks inside the paint. 2. The NBA players who play above the rim are the most popular and exciting players to watch. 3. The NBA moved the 3-point line further back to give more space to the above-the-rim players to dunk. 4. The NBA took away illegal defense and began allowing zone defenses to be used, freeing up ‘slashing’ swingmen to look for alley-oops.

It’s no secret the WNBA players can’t play the same style of basketball that is prevalent in the NBA. The solution: lower the rim from 10 feet to 9 feet. This would allow for more spectacular plays that would no doubt increase the excitability of the game. The WNBA is filled with skilled players but desperately lacks the “slashers” and “bangers” that make the NBA. All sports organizations have in one way or another changed the rules of the game. The NFL introduced 2-point conversions, the NBA added goaltending, a 3-point shot, and widened the key and the NHL changed icing and reduced the size of the goalie’s padding to allow more scoring. These changes were for the sole purpose of increasing scoring.

I have never rooted for a team or player based on physical attractiveness. To suggest that I condone an entire sport for that very reason is ridiculous and absurd. Any true NBA fan would love to watch the WNBA if its played in the same style and showcases more excitement. On a side note, Men make up only 60% of the NBA fans, and 40% of the WNBA fans.

m. Quijada

KIN339

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the idea of lowering the rim from 10 feet to 9 feet for women; it certainly would make it a lot more exciting to watch. Although it might be a good idea, it would be really hard to convert to. Women would have barely any places to practice since rims at nearly all high schools, public parks and gyms are at 10 feet. I’ve also done some research on the WNBA and found out that as an organization it has never actually turned a profit, every year that it has existed it has actually lost money. The only reason it continues to go on is because the NBA subsidizes it. This is kind of sad. I feel bad for girls like my little sister who have dedicated years of their lives to a sport that is unfortunately a professional joke. As bad as I feel I have to admit that I’ve never actually turned on the TV to watch a Sparks game, although I rarely miss a Laker game. Fact is, like most others, I just don’t find it as entertaining. Although it is still relatively new, and may just need some time to get started, I’d say making some changes to the WNBA wouldn’t necessarily be a bad idea.

    K. Burtzlaff
    KIN 339I

    ReplyDelete